DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
Did you know today is National Gumdrop day in the USA ? (what ever next ?) Still it’s a good excuse to pop out to the fabulous Helmsley Traditional Sweet Shop - https://www.helmsleysweets.co.uk/ They sell sweets the old-fashioned way, straight from big jars into paper...
Looking for a reason to stay one of our 5 self catering holiday cottages on the edge of the North York Moors National Park and just 20 minutes from the beaches of Yorkshire? Look no further.... 1. Cliff House is fun Not only do we have an indoor heated pool, we also...
THE RESULTS ARE IN AND WE ARE "AWARD WINNING"! With less than a year under our belts at Cliff House Holiday Cottages, we have a picked up a number of awards from online travel agents such as Booking.com and AirBnB. All of these awards are based on genuine guest...