DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
The Land of Iron Went for a walk in the "Land of Iron" - Rosedale in the North York Moors National Park. To look at it now you wouldn't think that it was once a thriving iron ore community, with the hill sides dotted with mines as well as the giant furnaces used for...
Ryedale Tour de Abbey We went on an impromptu tour around Ryedale today visiting its great Abbey's and Priory. Before any great trip, one must first get sustenance, so we first headed to the market town of Helmsley where we had breakfast at Mannions of Helmsley. Can't...
Byland Abbey is one of the many monastic ruins that are short drive away from Cliff House Holiday Cottages. Founded by monks who had a tough start on their journey - left to found a new abbey, founded new abbey, ransacked by the Scots, returned to parent Abbey, not...