DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
Some shots from around our garden as we work on improving it. Whilst the lock down is great in principle, you do still need tradesmen to come and do a lot of the improvements you want to do, so we are cracking on with the garden. In the left hand walled garden where...
As we are now in "lockdown" with no guests for the foreseeable, we thought it would be an opportunity to get tradesmen to make good our new home and make improvements as well - of course they are in lock down too and in isolation themselves! I guess we didn't think...
Not the best of weeks to be taking over a business with Covid-19 landing on these shores. We are still open, with our 2 acres of grounds and easy access to the North York Moors and Dalby Forest. However, with COVID-19 we are taking all reasonable precautions to ensure...