DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
A couple of Sunday's ago we took the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) from Pickering, just 20 minutes away from our cottages, to Whitby for a day out. The service run by the NYMR is called "The Optimist" - a reflection on these Covid induced uncertain times. The...
September is Mindful Month in the North York Moors National Park. Mindful Month is an opportunity to find time for you, time to stop, time to be still, time to reflect. It has been an odd year, so take the opportunity to take stock and reflect. Sometimes, we just...
Cayton Bay, with its big beach and views across to the old town area of Scarborough, is 12 miles and just over 20 mins drive away from our self catering holiday cottages. The large beach at Cayton is perfect for letting the dog off the lead and for kite flying...