DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
We are particularly proud of our lavender lined path up to our Orangery. It was one of the first things that we did when we took on Cliff House Holiday Cottages back in the dark days of the first lock down was to remove the cypress trees that lined the path and...
If you follow The Hairy Bikers, you will have seen them on BBC2 on Thursdays at 2000hrs exploring the North of England on a culinary adventure. Two episodes were filmed close to us at Cliff House Holiday Cottages. One concentrated on the Yorkshire Coast and the...
What to do on a rainy day. As we live in the UK, the chances are that when you are on holiday there is a good chance that there will be a rainy day or two when you are away. Here we suggest a number of places in North Yorkshire that you can visit when the heavens...