DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
Last year we ran a brief survey asking what do people prefer in a bathroom if space was tight - a shower, a shower over bath or a bath. The vast majority of people who were kind enough to respond said that they preferred a shower. So when it came to redoing the...
We headed for a day trip to Beverley, which is just under an hours drive away from the cottages here at Cliff House Holiday Cottages. Beverley is a fantastic market town in the East Riding of Yorkshire (never call it East Yorkshire!). The town has a collection of many...
Last week we took a trip to Hull. Now Hull is a long way from anywhere being as its just on the eastern edge of the East Riding of Yorkshire, but...hear us out - it is fantastic place to visit. With a thriving pub, cafe and restaurant scene near the marina to a...