DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
AUTUMN BREAKS Autumn is just around the corner (sorry!), so why not consider an Autumn break with ourselves at Cliff House? Whether it is for a long weekend, a short mid-week break or a full week you get to enjoy our 2 acres of grounds and our indoor heated swimming...
Went for a quick walk from the cottages up through Chafer Wood and then across and down through Kirkdale. Passing the local church and stopping to take photographs of Ebberston Hall - apparently the UK's smallest stately home. But before we made it back to Cliff...
Why visit one country garden, when you can visit two? With Scampston Hall Gardens and Jackson's Wold Garden so close to each other, a visit was in order. Scampston Hall Gardens Scampston Hall Gardens, as the name implies is a part of the larger Scampston Hall Estate....