DO OUR BIT
Our new home and self catering holiday cottages are a bit old, so not as eco-friendly as we’d like – though we’re sure big thick walls will help! Every little bit helps though, and as we start out on owning our own little holiday business we want to do as much as we can for the environment – and we will need your help too. We are by no means perfect but we will be trying our very best to reduce our environmental impact by following the principle of REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE, wherever possible.
As a minimum we will:-
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Use local labour and contractors for maintenance and repairs
- Source our energy from sustainable sources – wind, hydro, biomass, etc
- Make recycling waste made easier with bin sorters in kitchen
- Use Fair-trade and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use refillable bottles wherever possible
- Provide info for cycling, walking, surfing, and other local outdoor activities.
- Encourage guests to use local facilities and attractions
- Provide welcome hampers of local and home made produce to encourage guests to do likewise during their stay.
- Provide info on farmers markets and local suppliers – Malton Farmer’s Market, buying from the pier in Scarborough.
- Put some of the gardens to meadow to provide shelter for wildlife and help mitigate CO2 emissions
- Log fires fuelled by locally cut trees
- Try to create as sustainable and low impact an environment as possible.
Throughout we will be learning as to what we can do to reduce our impact as a small business on the environment, if you have any ideas when you with us – please let us know.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Levisham Pub Walk There's nothing better than a walk that involves a stop at a pub. We went out for a 10 mile hike from nearby Saltergate over to Newton Dale to see the trains running on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. After...
To Lastingham! We went on a lovely 6 mile circular walk that took in the area around Hutton-le-Hole in the North York Moors National Park. Starting in Hutton-Le Hole we headed to the small and very picturesque village of Lastingham, which dates back to at least the...
North Yorkshire Water Park We visited the nearby North Yorkshire Water Park to have a go on their zip line, which was quite fun 😊 The Water Park also offers a range of other activities to make a day of it, from climbing on the climbing wall, paddle boarding, wake...